Easy Home Organizing Ideas Make Life Easier!
I don’t know about you, but I know for myself, as a special needs mom, I am always looking for easy home organizing ideas. My time is valuable, and often it seems like I just don’t have enough time and energy to accomplish everything I need to do. Life is stressful when it is out of control.
I am not a person who has the time to create beautiful organizational systems where every different color marker has its own storage compartment. Give me a shoe box I can toss all my pens into, and I am happy! My organizational systems may not be pretty, but they are certainly functional.
This is one of my favorite easy home organizing ideas!
One of my favorite tricks for getting organized is to create kits for activities I do on a regular basis. A common example of this is a make-up bag that you put into your purse with all of your commonly used products. Imagine the time you might save if you made a similar kit for your everyday make-up and stored it in a convenient spot!
You can do the same with almost any activity, by storing everything needed for a particular activity together in a container, and putting it in an easily accessible spot. This will make it easy to do this activity, whatever it may be, saving you lots of time and effort!
Since I discovered this organizing method, I have enjoyed coming up with new ways to create kits around my home. Try it! I am sure you will find this a convenient way to streamline your life!
A Kit for Making Homemade Biscuits
You Can Organize Almost Anything with This Easy Idea!
Back when I was a single mom, every weekend I used to make a batch of homemade biscuits for my daughter. It was always a bit of a hassle getting ready to make the dough: digging the flour out of one cabinet, the measuring cups out of another, rooting around in the drawer for measuring spoons in the correct sizes.
One day it dawned on me that I could put everything together in one container and streamline my biscuit-making process. After doing this, it has make my Sunday morning baking very easy!
Here is how it works!
This is one of the best easy home organizing ideas around! I love it! And, you will too!
The system I developed for creating a kit goes by the acronym, GRAIL. This stands for:
G – Gather and Group
R – Relocate
AI – Add Instructions
L – Label
- Gather and group all materials! I went around my kitchen and gathered up everything I needed for making biscuits, including the ingredients and the tools I use when mixing them. Flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, vegetable shortening, a measuring cup, measuring spoons and a rubber spatula.
- Relocation: Appoint a new home! I always make biscuits on the counter next to my stove. So I selected a shelf convenient to that location to be the home for my biscuit-making kit and I cleared everything off that shelf.
- Add instructions! I copied my favorite recipe and taped it to the inside of my cabinet door. This saves time from having to look up the recipe every time I make biscuits.
- Label! I added a tag to the cabinet identifying that shelf as “biscuit ingredients.”
Inexpensive Storage Containers for Creating Kits
I love these Sterlite containers and use them for organizing all around my house. They are the perfect size for so many things!
One kit I have in a plastic box this size is my pet grooming kit. It holds my various pet brushes and combs, some bandage scissors for trimming mats, some scented pet wipes and a few other items I use regularly when I am making my dogs and cats beautiful. The box has a home with my other pet supplies, and I never have to dig around looking for my dog brush. Now I always know where it is!
More Easy Ideas for Organizing Your Home with Kits!
Since I found my baking kit to be so convenient, I began applying the idea to other tasks I repeated regularly. Here are some examples that have worked well for me.
1. Medicine kits – My daughter takes several medications each day, plus a multivitamin. I put all of these into a plastic pencil box. I wrote the instructions for giving her morning and bedtime pills on an index card and taped this to the inside of the box.
This not only makes it easy for me to administer her daily medication, but it is easy to grab in case of an emergency, travel, a trip to the doctor’s office or if she goes to spend the night somewhere. For the most convenience, I only store her daily meds in this kit, and the ones she takes only on occasion are stored elsewhere. For example, I only keep her seasonal allergy medicine in the kit during allergy season when she is actually taking it regularly.
This is a terrific deal on a 12-pack of pencil boxes that have so many uses! This is very similar to the box I used to make my daughter’s medicine kit. It is the perfect size for her pill bottles.
I also use these boxes to keep her various cables and power cords for her electronic devices all stored in one place.
These will line up neatly in a plastic box like this one and store neatly on a closet shelf. In these I have organized things like shoe strings and birthday candles that are not needed often, and tend to go astray.
2. Make up kit – I had quite a lot of make up and only used certain products everyday. I made a kit with just my favorite products that I like to use for a fast face. This has cut my time in the mornings almost by half. I never realized just how much time I was wasting digging around in my make up trying to find my favorite items among all the extra things they were mixed in with.
3. Coffee kit – I cleared out a space in a cabinet near my stove and put all my coffee stuff, including mugs, together on one shelf. Then I cleared the shelf above that and put all my tea there. Again, I put my favorite brands front and center so that I do not waste time digging around for those in the morning when I am in a hurry.
4. Bill Paying Kit – Create a bill paying kit to streamline this monthly task! Gather everything you need for paying bills: check book, a couple of pens, a calculator, stamps. Put it together in one container. If you pay your bills online, consider keeping a list of bill paying websites and your passwords in this box. As your monthly bills arrive in the mail, deposit them into this box. When it is time to pay, everything is ready to go, allowing you to get this annoying task accomplished very quickly.
I would put my bill paying kit into a box such as this one. It can be carried from one place to another, depending on where I want to work on my bills. When not in use, it looks tidy on a shelf or in a closet.
How I Got This Idea! From Cass at Malitose79 on YouTube!
In this video Cass shows us how she organizes her tiny bathroom, by using a makeup bag for the products she uses on a daily basis.
Here are some similar bags you could use for organizing your daily makeup!
Makeup Brush Cosmetic Organizer Portable 2 layer Small Makeup Pouch Holder PU Leather Case with Carry Handle for Travel (pink)Vera Bradley Iconic On a Roll Case, Signature CottonMONSTINA Make Up Bag With Mirror Travel Kit Organizer Cosmetic Bag Professional Multifunctional 2 Layer Organiser (Black)
I hope you enjoyed these easy home organizing ideas! Have you made some kits to simplify your life? Tell us about your kits!